“Marriage, huh! Good God. What is it good for…” No. Sorry. Got my 60s songs mixed up.
So – thoughts on marriage. They don’t come tripping off my tongue as readily as usual. But…
- I know of more good marriages now than when I was young. That’s gotta be a good thing. Admittedly the base back then with which I’m comparing is only 2. And you never really know, do you. Looks may deceive and suggest things are better or worse than they really are. So, strangely enough, I’m now less sceptical than before.
- I was proud to vote in the only constituency in the Republic of Ireland that had a majority in favour of allowing divorce in the first constitutional referendum on the issue. The rest of the country has since wised up about that and many other things, thank goodness. We could even end up with a president not called Mary in the near future. Could also be openly gay. (And I’m not talking about Martin McGuinness, he just looks happy.)
- Marriages should start with a good party. Like this one. Because you never know how they’ll end. (Not casting aspersions on any relationship in particular.)
- If you’re considering getting married, it’s probably best to take advice from someone with experience – which rules out most blokes in one particular job. On the other hand, the likes of Zsa Zsa Gabor may not be the best role model either. (Nine times, since you ask.)
- You probably shouldn’t make a habit of getting married too often, but the second one may well be better than the first.
- Intimacy is what makes a marriage, not a ceremony, not a piece of paper from the state – so says poet Kathleen Norris. I’d go along with that.
- Oh, and it should only be entered into voluntarily. (That way you can’t blame anyone else.)
- But what is marriage? What does it mean? Sesame Street will have the answers…
You will have found those few thoughts so meagre that you’ll be hungering for more marriage musings over at the blogs of the other members of the Loose Bloggers Consortium (sounds like a wife swapping club for the blogosphere). You’ll find them listed on the right, if you cursor down.