Your roving reporter met* a specially selected cross section of the population** who shared their own experience and opinions from the sharp end.
- “We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They hang around pubs and have no self control.”
- “When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of our elders, but young people today are disrespectful and out of control.”
- “What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets… Their morals are decaying.”
- “The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behaviour and dress.”
I blame the parents – the great great great great great …etc… grandparents, that is.
So what’s with this sudden display of concern for society going to hell in a handcart? Just a pretext really, to show you these clever drawings by Hark, a vagrant – and her lovely, clever, zany blog and book. History as it really/never was.
- Inscription, 6000 year-old Egyptian tomb.
- Hesiod, 8th century BC.
- Plato, 4th Century BC.
- Attributed to Peter the Hermit, AD 1274.
* Or to be more precised lifted from the website Anxiety Culture.
** All long dead.