It’s official. This blog is super awesome. How do I know? Because of these two awards.
Laurie nominated me for the “Versatile Blogger Award.” Thank you lovely Laurie from Ten Minute Missive.
And the dashing Duck of Indeed nominated me for the “One Lovely Blog Award.” Thank you Duck.
The rules of both awards are the same:
- Nominate 15 fellow bloggers. (See list at the bottom.)
- Inform the bloggers of their nomination. (Working on it.)
- Share 7 random things about yourself. (See below.)
- Thank the blogger who nominated you. (I’ve done that above.)
- Add the award picture to your blog. (Done. – You’ll find the code for the award images at the bottom of this post.)
If you’re one of the superlative blogs listed below – you have to go through this same rigmarole described above on your own blog to comfirm the award – or in this case – double award. (Sounds like a Readers Digest Exclusive Offer.)
Seven random revelations about me that have some truth to them – the short version is in bold:
- The tastiest drink I found was at a roadside cafe in northern Venezuela after being dropped off while hitching through the the littoral forest. Freshly squeezed passion fruit juice.
- I had to kneel on the road to get a lift out of Ballymena.
- I used to pick up the smelliest, dirtiest, wettest looking hitchhikers in Ireland – usually old farmers – because I thought nobody else would.
- The Gardai (police south of the Irish border) stopped to reprimand me for hitching on the motorway – and then kindly gave me a lift to the end of it.
- Perhaps the scariest road ride I had was against oncoming traffic and on the opposite hard shoulder on a busy road in Jamaica, as the driver of the minibus in which I was holding on wide-eyed, diced with a speeding car of armed men. Having a priest sitting beside me was no comfort. He was too thin to offer much in the way of cushioning.
- My first car was a (“You can’t wine and dine here in an auld“) Morris Minor which “used to be black as me father’s hat” till I sprayed it a rich bright candy yellow. The chrome became matt black. It had lovely wide wheels. It was a beautiful sight.
- Then one of the lovely wide wheels fell off… I watched it bounce up the road away from me as the car slunk and tipped to a halt. (Luckily the engine of the motorbike I had been towing had just turned over, so I nipped on the back and we chased down the escaping car wheel. And off we went again.)
My life does not completely revolve round hitchhiking and cars. I also read blogs – like these award nominees below. They’re in no particular order and do not include the people who nominated me.
- The Idiot – because he’s an idiot. And funny.
- Adventures of an Unfit Mother – she’s also funny. (And short of awards. Not.)
- Speccy – because she’s lovely. And we went drinking.
- Chocolate is not the only fruit – She’s on the radio.
- Tony Zimnoch – fascinating old photos, history, hebden bridge, Poland and folk music.
Mindjacker – Good short reads & recommendations from Sean Patrick Reardon.
- JetHead – Airline pilot shares his secrets and philosophy.
- Cultural Snow – erudition in Bangkok.
- I know I made you smile – because he does, from Miami, with his cartoons.
- World Music – does what it says on the tin, lots of good music.
- The Lean Times – Viviana trying to save us money.
- Nick – he’s in teresting and in Belfast.
- Póló – sharp-eyed observer in Dublin.
- Come Here To Me – offbeat Dublin history, culture & politics.
- Europa’s Ice Wolf – if you like weird stuff about wolves, you may like this. She won’t bite. Probably.
There are no Loose Bloggers Consortium members in the list, because I point people your way every Friday.
Given that this is now a double awarding-winning blog, there’s one sorely neglected post – about a friendly writer deserving of your attention – no, not me – click on the link to find out about him: The Devil Made Me Do it.
And here’s that award image code I promised you. This is the code to insert when the widget asks for the URL or link for the Versatile Blogger Award: http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/thatswhatchesaid/Thats%20What%20Che%20Said%20Blog/VersatileBloggerAward.png As for the other award, I can only offer an image.