August 24, 2012 · 12:01 am
It was pipe like this – except without the bed, the door, the electric light…
Top five oddest places I’ve slept in, on or under…
- In a pipe – at some construction site near Grenoble, France. (“Ce n’est pas un lit,” I thought to myself.) I woke and left before being hoisted up by a crane.
- Under a wardrobe (and some mattresses) – after a big night in Dublin. Took a while to be discovered and then extricated.
- At the edge of a cliff – by accident. It was dark. We had been trekking over some small mountains. We were tired. Luckily – so we didn’t walk any further forward. In the morning we discovered the tent was covered in snow. As was the land on either side. But not in front. That’s where the cliff was – and the sea.
- By petrol pumps near Karlsruhe, Germany. That’s where my last lift dropped me. I’d hitched from Poland. There was grass and undergrowth which looked more soft and inviting, but was rustling with quare fellas.* So a nap amidst the hard surfaces, flourescent lighting and idling engines seemed preferable.
- In the middle of a sentence while broadcasting live on the radio. One moment I was giving out some racing results, then next I was slurring… murmuring… silent. People checked the tuning on their radios. Then they heard snoring. How mortifying.** Continue reading →
Filed under D - Loose Bloggers Consortium
Tagged as 5 Live, 5live, BBC, bed, berth, blackwater, blackwatertown, cliff, cliff edge, dasparkhotel, dos equis, Dublin, edge, Five Live, france, gas station, germany, grenable, homeless, Isle of Man, karlsruhe, lbc, london pathway, loose bloggers consortium, Manx, mike vince, narcolepsy, odd, petrol station, pipe, quare fella, quare fellas, radio, rat, rats, rough sleeper, sleep, sleep talking, slept, superstition, the most interesting man in the world, wardrobe
October 27, 2010 · 12:05 am
You will join the Tea Party. Ah go on. Ah go on go on go on go on....
To see ourselves as others do is a concept that can be overrated. You’ll get nowhere if you’re constantly looking over your shoulder, worrying about what other people think. Why give head space to the knee jerk doubters who oppose anything new almost as a matter of principle. Or as the Irish saying goes – “F**k the begrudgers”. (It’s not one you find on decorative tea towels. Nor does it include the Fr Teddish “feck“. But I find it comes in handier more often than the road rising to meet you and being in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead.)
Seen from Europe the Tea Party phenomenon seems to be fizzing with crazies, bigots, racists, ex witches, anti masturbators, science deniers, the deluded and opportunists. But Continue reading →
Filed under politics
Tagged as 5 Live, 5live, Adebayo, BBC, begrudgers, blackwater, blackwatertown, conservative lie, crazies, Dave Jeffries, Dotun, Dotun Adebayo, election, Father Ted, feck, Five Live, Fr Ted, Gary Younge, George Monbiot, Guardian, masturbators, mid terms, Mrs Doyle, obama, On My Watch, politics, poll, Rhod, Rhod Sharp, Sam Henry, Tea Party, USA, vote