April 27, 2012 · 4:00 am
Olaudah Equiano - one of Belfast's more famous visitors.
Question: What have Liverpool, Bristol and all sorts of other places got that Belfast hasn’t?
Answer: A corporate history of slave trading.
Hurrah! One shameful pursuit into which we did not dive. Continue reading →
Filed under D - Loose Bloggers Consortium, friends, history, life, Music
Tagged as Andy Fairweather Low, animals, arthur magee, BBC, Belfast, blackwater, blackwatertown, blues, Donovan, Eric Burdon, Failed Christian, Frankie Miller, friend, Friends of Thomas McCabe, Henry McCullough, history, Ireland, Jimi Hendrix, lbc, Leon Russell, loose bloggers consortium, Marianne Faithful, Nick Lowe, Northern Ireland, Oloudah Equiano, paul mccartney, people trafficking, Ronnie Lane, Rotterdam, slavery, Thomas McCabe, Tom McCabe, Waddell Cunningham, Wings, woodstock
August 23, 2010 · 8:30 pm
Just back from the Rhythm Festival.
But how to describe it?
- It’s where I go to feel young and clean shaven (compared to the rest of the crowd).
- It’s where you look at the stage and say: “I thought he was dead ages ago.”
- It’s where a blues band announces that the bass player has had a stroke, lost the power of speech except for swearing, but will sing the next number anyway. (Not good.)
- It’s a lot better than I’m making it sound so far.
- And it’s where you find out if past greats still have it… Or not. (And you meet the next wave too.)
S0 – Who has still got it? Continue reading →
Filed under Music
Tagged as 1797, Abu Dhabi, accent, amanda walther, Arlo, Arlo Guthrie, art, ban, banned, BBC, Bedford, Billy Bragg, blackwater, blackwatertown, Call Mother A Lonely Field, canadian music, Captain Sensible, charlie brooker, Clapham, dala, dualers, Eloise, festival, field, Happy Talk, Ian Rankin, Ingrid Bergman, Jackie Leven, Jim Driver, konnie huq, Lady Gaga, Lady Saga, Last Flight to Abu Dhabi, like young Irish men in English bars the song of home betrays us, Madonna, Music, music I like, mutiny, Nore, Ralph McTell, Rebus, rhythm, Rhythm Festival, saga, screenwipe, sheila carabine, si cranstoun, ska, Smugglers, Spithead, Streets of London, Stromboli, tea, The Colours, The Damned, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Tickle on the Tum, Tony Benn, tyber cranstoun, woodstock, Woody Guthrie